This week marks the opening of the Northern Stars 2016 competition from Tech North, as the team host four community events across the North of England.
At a series of Summits & Socials in Sheffield, Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester this week, Tech North are launching the second Northern Stars competition and introducing future plans – and new Director of Tech North, Richard Gregory – to the community.
Northern Stars is a pitch competition that seeks to identify and showcase the best tech startups in the North of England. Companies are identified through a series of regional pitch events, culminating in a Grand Final where 10 winning companies are chosen by a panel of high-profile judges.
The 10 winning startups will receive a package of events and opportunities designed to raise their profile and build their networks, including a host of promotional activity and places at the following high-profile events:
- TechCrunch Disrupt in London
- Investor pitch at Bloomberg
- The Next Web conference in Amsterdam
- Northern Tech Awards
- Offer of subsidised trip to SxSW in Texas
The first Northern Stars competition highlighted ten incredible companies based right across the North of England and set the bar very high for the 2016 programme.
To apply you have to be a digital tech startup based in the North of England, have raised less than £2m investment and have a live product in the market with customer traction. You should also be ready to develop and present a 3-minute pitch to a live audience and judging panel.
Selected applicants will be invited to pitch at our three regional events to compete for a guaranteed place.
- 18 July – Open for applications
- 8 Sept – Pitch event in Sheffield
- 22 Sept – Pitch event in Liverpool
- 6 Oct – Pitch event in Newcastle
- 9 Oct – DEADLINE: Close for applications
- 21 Oct – Finalists informed (not public)
- 28 Oct – Finalists announced
- 8&9 Nov – Pitch training for finalists
- 17 Nov – Grand Final event
- 5&6 Dec – Winners taken to Tech Crunch Disrupt
- mid-Jan – Winners taken to Bloomberg event
- Feb – Winners take part in promotional campaign
- March – Winners taken to SxSW (optional subsidized trip)
- Mar – Winners taken to Northern Tech Awards
- May – Winners taken to The Next Web Conference (Amsterdam)